Saturday, May 18, 2013

Visiting during orientation

Having visited the Wake County Animal Center before, I assumed that I would be prepared for anything when I walked in the center. Unfortunately I was wrong and taken aback a little bit. As soon as we walked in the door there was a lobby full of animals. At first I was excited because I assumed they were all being adopted and going home, but that was not the case. Most of the animals that were in the lobby were either strays that people were bringing in or their owners were surrendering them. Through this class and orientation and the animal center we have learned that no matter how easy it is to judge or formulate your own opinion about someone who is bringing in an animal, we have had an eye opening discussion that we cannot do this. We do not know every persons living situation or even what they have going on in their lives, so we cannot judge them. Personally I would NEVER be able to surrender any of my pets or even future pets. They are a part of the family.
A Hopeful Cat 
The first room we entered in the center was the cat room. This room was relatively quiet with minimal smell. Most of the cats came to the front of their cages wanting to be petted. Rubbing their faces on the cage, sticking their paws out of the cage to touch us. Cats seem to be more independent than dogs in the way that they are semi content being in their cages. However some of them, like the one in the photograph above, are not as thrilled. Some of the cats it was easy to see sadness in their eyes. This was heart breaking!

A Hopeful Dog 
The next part of the tour during orientation we went to the dog kennels. This was probably the most heartbreaking portion of the tour because I absolutely love dogs! As soon as I crossed the threshold the barking was so loud it was almost deafening and the smell of feces (which is inevitable with that many animals) was overwhelming. The dogs who were barking were either the excited outgoing dogs or ones who were defending their home much like if they were in a house. However as we walked through the kennels, occasionally there would be dogs that you could just see the fear in their eyes. Some of them would walk to the back of their cages, or even not make eye contact with humans. I could not imagine being in their place, being a dog who came from a home to being in a cage in a room full of other dogs who bark almost constantly. On top of that having people come by and look at you or even pet you but not take you with them. This is a life altering event for them and they have no control over it.

After the visit on orientation day I am even more determined to take advantage of this class and help save these animals lives! I can only do so much to help them, but I will do everything that I am able to do to help. Not only will I try and produce the best photographs that I can, I will spend time giving the animals attention, and I will help inform the public about the center.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I think you really captured the thoughts and emotions of the animals in these photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your passion, enthusiasm, and determination. I know the animals will benefit greatly from this!

    ReplyDelete