Tuesday, May 14, 2013

About Me

My name is Shelby Decker. I am an Exercise and Sports Science major with a concentration in Health/Wellness at Meredith College graduating in 2014.



I have taken a few online courses before but never one that I am this excited about. I am taking this course to fulfill my general education art requirement as well as further my passion for photography. This course, photography for the web, is not only designed to teach us how to edit the photos we will be taking but also to help save the lives of many animals. After reading the course description and finding out that we would be going to the animal shelter and taking photos of animals I was ecstatic! Not only do I love taking photographs but I absolutely love animals.

 I have always enjoyed taking pictures and editing them. It is very intriguing that we can control the product produced by changing the angle, lighting, and distance. Through the help of this course, I am excited to learn how to edit these photos in even more detail using software. On the first day of class we discussed dept of field. Dept of field is the sharpness of an object from the closes point in the photo to the furthest. This technique is something I have noticed in pictures but never knew the technical name for it. Although I am anticipating a lot of time and hard work needed to produce these photographs, I am very excited to get started and help save these animals with my work. I have a very hectic schedule, however with this course being a hybrid course it allows for a lot of wiggle room to go visit the shelter when I have time available as well as time to edit the photos.

I cannot wait to start working with the animals and taking their pictures. It will take everything in me not to bring home another dog during this class. I have always loved animals and my family has rescued quite a few dogs. Unfortunately most of ours came from really bad previous homes. So the dogs needed extra love and attention which we were more than willing to give them. As of right now we have a Border Collie and a full blood Great Dane. I look forward to having the opportunity to help the animals in the shelter receive homes that they deserve much like my family has done in the past. 



 A picture is indeed worth a thousand words, however for these animals it will be worth more than that. These pictures can give them the chance to have a happy home with a loving family.

2 comments:

  1. Great way to end your first post with "A picture is worth a thousand words...".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent attitude! I am so glad you are in this class, and thrilled to hear that your family has been long-time animal advocates. Your Dane is quite handsome. Are you a twin by any chance?

    ReplyDelete